The early days
In 1957 Dr Pat Josephson returned from the UK and bought a dental practice in the United Building Society building, in Sea Point, Cape Town, where he practiced for the next few years. It was during this time that he was specialising in Periodontology and Oral Medicine. Thereafter he moved the practice to the Standard Bank building on the foreshore .
In 1983 a branch practice was commenced in Rumar Flats next door to our current location. In 1984 Dr Theo Van Der Walt joined the practice as an assistant and was later to become partner in 1986. They continued to operate until 1991 when the surgery moved to the beautiful Dutch Gable house which was converted taking great care to preserve its original architectural design. The Rumar and Foreshore entities were combined into the new acquisition as Dr Josephson and Van Der Walt Inc.
The practice had several assistant dentists until 2002 when Dr Van Rooyen joined the practice and became partner in 2005. Shortly after that Dr Ellis returned from the UK and became the fourth partner in 2007. It was at this stage that we decided to rename the practice and Patheodent materialised. The name incorporates the historical origins of the practice with Pat and Theo but also has a double meaning referring to the pathology of teeth.
The practice today: